Working on my animation, I knew I wanted to try and animate the materials used (in this case ink) to really try and push the themes being depicted and to emphasise the textures. I chose to use ink because of its texture and its ability to communicate numerous themes that are consistent with my theme. I therefore wanted to make the most of this by bringing it to life.
Due to my placement at the BBC I was lucky to have had help with how to go about making the ink move. They showed me how to do it and I applied it to my marque.
Above is the result. I’m really pleased with how the ink manages to move towards to the viewer from the centre of the marque, growing bigger to reveal the whole marque. I also animated the line to really push the journey element. This is because the line is based on the route of the journey the family took and so it made sense to have the line move through the texture – as if it’s on a journey.
I think that the animation is very successful and really pushes my concept for the exhibition, the clouding conveys confusion with the line journeying though the confusion. However, it does have a gentle element that brings out an empathetic tone. It is not too brutal and shocking to the audience; but has a sad undertone to it. Due to the sensitive nature of the subject, I feel that this is a better avenue to go down as I want people to emotionally connect with it and make a call to action – not frighten them.
The two animations above are the same as the first but with the addition of the title of the exhibition. I have taken the two strongest title placements from when I was developing my marque and tried them both to see which works stronger and therefore potentially select a final marque.
I think that the first type experimentation works much stronger in comparison to the second because I feel it has much more of an impact. The title sitting off centre seems to lose its power and is not as impactful as I would like it to be. I also asked for feedback from people in my class and the overall verdict was that they found the first type experiment to be the most successful.
I did however, get some feedback that the line gets a little too slow towards the end which could result in loss of attention from the viewer. This is feedback I will take on board and try to make the appropriate changes to improve it.
I was also given feedback from Neil who suggested having the letters of the word ‘exodus’ appear like footsteps. This is definitely something I’ll try.
Above is the final animated moving identity. I have taken all of the feedback on board and implemented it in the animation above. I am extremely pleased with the final outcome and feel it is much stronger than the previous animations. The letters appearing individually help to enforce the sense of a journey – the main theme I am trying to convey.
In reflection, I feel I have experimented a great deal with the animation and the end result shows a definite improvement from the first. I am also pleased with my choice in where the word ‘exodus’ is placed in relation to the marque. I think it gives it more strength and makes it more prominent to the audience.