Ephemera Project – Hierarchy Recap

Today we had a recap of hierarchy within editorial design. It was good to have a refresh on the elements needed and the considerations that are needed in order to ensure good design is achieved.

During the morning we completed two workshops, the first focused on our leading and rag when we had to rearrange a paragraph of text.

fullsizerender-18

I found the task to be quite challenging, but overall was fun and really got me thinking about the finer details in type that will need to be considered for this brief. I am pleased with my leading and was given very positive feedback, however, I do think that the rag can be improved and is something that I did not consider as strongly when completing the task.

The second workshop focused on layout and completing both symmetrical and asymmetrical layouts. We were asked to create either two portraits and a landscape piece or two landscapes and portrait piece.

I really enjoyed the workshop as it embedded what we learnt in the opening discussion about layout. It allowed me to really understand the difference between asymmetrical and symmetrical layouts and the visual impacts they both have. I now also realise the impact that negative space has on the page. It can really aid and improve a design and is a key element to remember when designing for my given brief.

Out of all the pieces I created, my personal favourite is the top left layout. I like how the typography has been used to emphasise what the text reads and I also like the negative space, which helps to create a flow from the top of the page to the bottom as each element on the page connects to one another.

We then had to work in pairs and select a piece that our partner had created that we thought could be improved.

I worked with Ffion and the image on the left is the original. I felt that on the whole the piece was symmetrical, but I thought that it was too linear, reading from top to bottom. Therefore as can be seen in the image on the right, I made a simple change by rearranging the elements on the page. I thought the heading worked better in the centre to grab the viewers attention. After discussing the change with Ffion she agreed and said overall it had more of an impact.

This was the piece that Ffion improved and as can be seen clearly, she has moved the image and heading to be next to the sub heading. I much prefer the change she has implemented. There is a stronger flow between the elements and it reads much better and is not as disjointed as the original design. I also prefer the negative space in the improved design.

Overall I feel I have benefited from the workshops completed, it has introduced me to designing layouts; something I have never done previously, and to remember all the considerations that need to be taken such as the detailing in leading, the rag etc. hierarchy and the overall layout. At first it was overwhelming but when broken down feels more achievable and so are all things I will remember to consider for this given brief and future briefs.

Advertisements

Author: marislathamgraphics

I am a student at Cardiff Metropolitan University studying BA Hons Graphic Communication.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s