Screenprint

As part of the image block we have been given the opportunity to take part in a screen printing workshop. Having some previous experience in screen printing, I knew what the process entailed and know that the idea of screen printing is to build up multiple layers of coloured shapes in order to create an image.

Online definition:

Screen-print

verb.

         force ink or metal on to (a surface) through a prepared screen of fine material so as to create a picture or pattern.

(Reference: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/screen-print )

But before I could jump into doing that, preparation work was needed and so I began working on digital images that I wanted to screen print. I therefore experimented with various images to see what I thought would work best as I needed an image with a high contrast.

The first image was of four converse shoes:

The original image:

converse-chuck-taylor-all-star-ii-holiday-collection-0

I then went on to manipulate the image, firstly by changing it into black and white and then through applying various filters and effects. These are the results:

I was rather surprised by the effects of this image. Out of the three I feel the strongest is the first image as it seems to built up more of shapes, making it slightly more implicit. Despite the lack of detail, they are still instantly recognisable shapes. However, I am unsure if I feel about using this image for the screen print.

The second image were of two Zebra’s.

The original image:

Две зебры

Like before, I manipulated the image in a similar manner and here are the results:

With this image I focused on using halftone. Out of the two I particularly like the first image due to the effect of the filter, but also because it is much clearer than the second image, the image has stronger clarity and can be read more effectively by the viewer.

The final image I worked on, is an image of Venice.

The original image:

venice_grand-canal

And finally, like the previous images, I edited the image and here are the results:

I was much happier with these images, particularly the first two where there is not as much detail as it helps to make image a little more implicit and is more visually exciting. I think there is a good contrast between the black and white within the image and so I think it has great potential to work well as a screen print. But I do wonder if it is a little too detailed. I do not like the bottom two images as I do not feel they are strong enough in comparison. Also the top right image will simply not work due to the lack of contrast, there are too many shades of grey.

On the whole out of the variety of edited images, I believe the strongest image lies within the Venice set. My personal favourite is the second image as the quality is slightly higher than the first. I feel that this image will work the best for screen print and will have the most interesting outcomes. There is both a lack of detail and a great amount of detail in comparison to the Zebra and Converse images and so will be more visually stimulating.

From then I went on to complete the screen printing process. Overall, it was a very fun and enjoyable experience and it is definitely a process that I will consider using within my work in the future.

These are the final outcomes and on the whole I am very pleased with the outcomes. For the background I decided to created a silhouette of the detailed image to allow the detail to stand out, rather than create a background that would be distracting to the viewer. I decided on the colour blue because when looking at the original image, blue seemed to be the dominate colour and that also helped to create a visual link with Venice itself. Looking back on that, I do question whether the is shade of blue was the right choice, in future I think I should experiment with more colours to see what works best before finalising on one.

Out of the four outcomes, I believe the strongest is the bottom right image due to the offset of the detail, it leads the views eyes backwards and therefore creates a sense of depth within the image. In contrast to that, I also feel the bottom left image also works well as I feel it sits well within the silhouette and does capture the viewers attention in my opinion. With the top left image, unfortunately too much in was pressed through the screen, loosing some of the original detailing in the image. This is something I will remember for next time in order to avoid mistakes like that from happening again.

I can see the potential within the prints to be taken forward and digitalised or manipulated further, I wonder how far something like this can be taken and so I believe more experimentation is needed and is something I would like to do at some point in the future.

Advertisements

Author: marislathamgraphics

I am a student at Cardiff Metropolitan University studying BA Hons Graphic Communication.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s