In this session we learnt about modular typography being an alphabet constructed of a limited number of shapes. Being shown examples of this style of work showed that interesting letterforms can be created.
When the task to create our own using graph paper was given I did find it quite interesting, I wanted to think of how I could push it or give the letters an element to make it a little more interesting.
I just started with simply colouring in sections of the grid to see what shapes I could create.
I didn’t think using the centre of the graph really worked and neither did I think the bold effect looked very good. I can see that the bold effect does have potential but for me it wasn’t working and so I decided to try something else.
This was the next design, and with this I definitely preferred it compared to the rest. It felt more sleek and worked well within the space. Nevertheless I still tried to think of I could push and so I simply decided to add serifs on to the letter. I thought that this was a great addition to the letterforms. Despite the letters had a modern pixelated look, I felt the serifs provided a refined and more elegant effect to them.
As I was happy with this design I then went forward and digitalised one of the letters, allowing it to become more refined and to gain a more realistic sense of how it would look if used in a context.
Overall I am pleased with the final result of the letterform and I feel I have used the space within the grid well. I do feel the serifs add another level to the letterform and I am happy with my decision. If I was to take this further, perhaps I could play with weights and contrast between the lines to see the effect it would have.